Creative Writing Workshops
“Your sessions unblocked me.” – Jared G.
Profile of Marian as workshop leader
Do you feel that you’re full of stories, but have trouble getting them on paper? Do you write at your job, then come home too tired to express your creative side? The solution is easy. Really! Carve out a time and place to write regularly, either in a group, class, or workshop. Structured settings will help you to:
- find your voice
- hone your writing and editing skills
- develop longer works
- make new writer friends
- heal your writing wounds
- feel the deep satisfaction of taking time for your creativity
As a certified Amherst Writers & Artists leader, I lead multi-genre workshops based on the productive and supportive AWA method originated by Pat Schneider. My venues include New Jersey’s Adult School of Montclair, County College of Morris extension classes, and private groups. For ten-plus years, it’s been my honor and privilege to help hundreds of adult learners achieve their writing dreams.
My workshops include the following. All of them can be structured as single intro sessions or multi-week cycles.
- Breaking Writer’s Block
- First Draft Fever: Introduction to Creative Writing
- From Anecdote to Story
- Leaving a Legacy: Family and Organizational Histories
- Life-Writing and Memoir: Mining Your Raw Material
- The Ode Less Traveled: Poetry in Forms
- Publishing 101 for Creative Writers
- Writing in Real Time
“Thank you for providing such a consistent opportunity for writing. I always feel so good after one of our meetings, and I know that writing regularly with you makes all of my writing easier.” – Madelyn H.
Writers of all ages, professions, skill levels, and genres are warmly welcomed in my groups. You need not submit a writing sample. The only requirements are your willingness to write and to be a constructive group member.
- Private workshops: I lead two Amherst-method writing groups in Montclair, NJ. They are currently filled, but let me know if you’d like to be on a waiting list.
- Customized workshops: Have pen, will travel. Contact me to custom-schedule a half-day writing or publishing workshop on a Saturday or Sunday. Ideal for reading groups who want to experience life from the writer’s side of the page, or for writing groups who want feedback or publication strategies.